Friday, September 11, 2009

Surgery is done - all is well


(Yay - another surgery!!)

Carter is such a little trooper. We got up bright and early and started out the day with a bang! After getting his cute PJ's on we headed over to meet with the anesthesiologist and the surgeons. Consulting with them on all the procedures was fun and then we were off......


(He is so grown up sitting in a big chair)

One concern I had was that the anesthesiologist had mentioned back in February that he had to use an extremely small tube to intubate Carter. I mentioned this to the new anesthesiologist today and he was fabulous - he went back and looked at Carter's records and found out that the tube they had used in August and December of last year would not fit down his throat in February. He was concerned and went and talked to Dr. Muntz (the Ear, Nose Throat doctor). They decided that while they were in doing the procedure that they wanted to do a bronchoscopy and a laryngoscopy to see if they could find out why there was a change in his airway like that. A few more initials to consent to the added procedures and Carter was taken away into the operating room.


(Don't you just want to give him a squeeze?)

One hour and fifteen minutes later - Carter was all done. What we found out was interesting. Carter's tonsils were much larger than he had thought because they were long and deep. His adenoids were 80% obstructive in his airway. Hopefully those two things will help a ton on his breathing issues. They inserted the tubes into his ears - his right one went well - the left ear canal is so small they had to use a micro tube. This tube may only last Carter 6-9 months before it will need to be replaced. They also cleaned out all the gunk out of his ears and there should be a drastic improvement in his hearing.

Dr. Muntz also found a cyst in his airway which is why the tube that fit in December would not fit in February. He was able to cut it off and drain it and we hope it won't grow back - but there is always that possibility.

The skin tag removal was a piece of cake and there weren't any fistulas - so that was even better news.

Right now he is sleeping peacefully (with some help from meds). He has been awake and immediately wanted to sit up in bed - none of this laying down on the job business.


(Sleeping so peacefully)

Thanks so much for your prayers and support and we will continue to update as things progress. The nurses have already fallen in love with this cute little man - and an added bonus is that he is so easy to take care of!


(Just me and my cute little man!)

15 comments:

Misty said...

I am so glad things went so well! Hopefully you all will be home tomorrow! Thanks for keeping us all updated.

We love you!

Christina said...

He is SO cute! So glad the doctors are wonderful and have taken good care of your family. Yea for Carter doing well.

Hugs & Prayers,
Christina
Jacob's Momma

Mrs. Lundgreen said...

YaY! You guys are my heroes! Glad everything went well.

Unknown said...

Glad everything went well. Yes...I would love to just squeeze him. He's so cute.

Denise said...

Oh, I am so glad to hear that everything went well. He looks soooo cute in his PJ's in the before pictures that you are right...I just want to squeeze him!! Thanks for your kind words and prayers regarding Ella's bone marrow biopsy.

The Lehnick Family said...

I would like to just squeeze him too! Those hospital jammies are the cutest on him! So happy all went well with his surgery...sounds like he was in great hands! Thanks for the update...hope his recovery is speedy...

Mindy said...

He looks so big in those pictures, I don't want him to grow up yet :( What great news on his surgery, i'm so glad it all went well.

Lacey said...

Yeah, I'm glad it went well. And so fast to get all of that done in an hour and 15 mins.

Chief said...

How can anyone deny that he isn't an angel from heaven? Such trooper! I am so glad they were able to diagnose these problems and hope they improve his quality of life even more!

Don't tempt me to squeeze him...it could be dangerous!

the last picture with you and he in it...I see Ashleigh so much in his eyes. It's like the baby face is turing into the toddler face right before our eyes!

Hugs and Kisses from chief

Adrianne said...

He is getting way too big. He looks so awesome in that chair. Cutest baby ever! I'm glad to hear everything went so well. Keep us posted on how things continue.

My name is Sarah said...

Ohhhh so cute. Those little pj's are adorable. I've never seen them like that before.

Jodi said...

I have no doubt the nurses were falling for him. . . what a stud! So happy that things went well, and hopefully it will really help with the breathing. Thanks for the pics too what a huggable,squishable boy!!

LeShel said...

HOORAY! I'm so glad that surgery went well. I hope the microtube will last him twice as long as the doc says. Or at least a couple extra months.

I love the pics of Carter and can't wait to get me some of those great hugs.

Jeana said...

YEah! Awesome news. I hope we catch you today, we'll be up there all morning.

Kristin said...

Love those hospital jammie pics! Glad everything went well!