Saturday, September 12, 2009

Guess who's home?

Carter is home!! Yay!!

We talked to the nurse this morning and she said that Carter was absolutely refusing to eat. So I got ready and decided to head up to the hospital to see my little man. We missed him last night - it was lonely around here. We also missed the constant hum of the oxygen concentrator - guess we could have turned it on - but we didn't.

As I was driving up there I called again and the nurse said they had just received orders to transfer him up to the floor because he wouldn't eat. I got to the hospital just in time to walk him down the hall into his new room. He got all situated and then I had a little heart to heart mother to son talk that went something like this:

"Carter, you know if you drink your bottle they will probably let you come home."

Carter shakes his head no.

"Carter how about you drink a bottle and maybe you can come home with Mommy."

Carter shakes his head no - he is pretty good at this.

Mom tells the nurse, "Why don't you heat up some milk and I will try to feed him his bottle."

Carter shakes his head no.

Mom gets the warm milk and proceeds to give him his bottle. Guess who drank it all gone? The very same boy who said no. See in his world shaking his head means no and yes.

Three hours later Mom gets brave and orders Mac and cheese, jell-o squares, and ice cream.

Guess who eats half the mac and cheese, some jell-o and ALL the ice cream (cause he is like his mom). Yep Carter.

Mom says to the nurse at 4:00 - "Hey if the only reason we are here is because Carter won't eat - how about we go home because he is eating?"

Nurse says, "If he will drink one more bottle I will call the surgeon and ask if you can go home."

Good enough for me - could you please bring me a bottle of warm milk? Granted he just finished eating all that food - but I know time is running out......

Guess who drank 7 out of 8 ounces? Yep......

Mom says to the nurse, "OK he drank almost all of his bottle can you call the surgeon?"

She says, "Sure, but it is almost 5 and I don't know if there is anyone in the hospital who can discharge - but I will try it anyway."

After finding out that between the transfer from the PICU unit to the IMSU Carter was lost in the shuffle and no one was following him - we finally got a hold of a nice resident. He came in and asked repeatedly if we were sure that Dr. Muntz was the surgeon who operated and were we sure that happened yesterday? What? Of course I am sure. He finally had to call Dr. Muntz himself and over the phone got enough information that we were allowed to come home. Phew!!

We arrived home just after 7:00 and couldn't be more happy. We are exhausted but happy to be here. Thanks for all the prayers and support.

15 comments:

Kristin said...

How could such a cutie get 'lost' in the shuffle?!
Oh well - he's home now!
YAY!!!!! What a relief.

Denise said...

I am glad that you are all home. May you have a wonderful nights sleep!!

Lacey said...

Doesn't it make you feel so loved being lost in the shuffle? I'm glad it was a good resident that came down and let you go.

Mindy said...

I told you he would eat. What a STUD!! I hope you all sleep well tonight, so glad he is home :)

Emily said...

Yay... so glad he is back home and all went well! I LOVE ice cream too!

Chief said...

This sounds typical. It is so hard to get them to let you leave those places!

Wahoo~

Jeana said...

That is so awesome! Way to take matters into your own hands :) It was so fun to meet you and Carter today! He is such a stud.

Our Favorite Things said...

Give my little buddy hugs for me!

The Cardin's said...

I am so glad Carter is home and doing well. I am also very glad that he has a determined mom! :-)

Jodi said...

"Are you sure it was yesterday?" LOL! like you could forget. I'm glad he's home. Nothing like a Momma's touch aye?

Derek, Kenzee and Gage said...

YAY YAY!! What a fabulous little boy. Good job eating so well so you could go home with your sweet family, Carter! I have been so anxious to get home so I could check the internet to see when he got to go home! Great news to come home to. Carter, you are a little hero, no doubt.

Anonymous said...

Kristi,
I am glad carter's surgery went well....
It's good to here you are back home .

Doyle Family said...

I'm so glad it went well. Mom's know best!

The Lehnick Family said...

Yay! So glad you are all home and all went well...Good job Carter with all that eating! Hope your week is restful!

Kristin said...

As far as the rsv shot... they said they had to get it pre-approved thru the insurance first since it costs up to $1500!