Thursday, August 27, 2009

One year ago today


We took this beautiful baby boy with a perfect chest and a broken heart to the hospital

and dressed him in hospital pajamas.


I lovingly held him in my arms as I gave him hugs and kisses, wished him luck and told him he needed to be a strong boy.

Dad also did the same.

And then we tearfully watched as he entered the operating room doors.

When we saw him six hours later this is what we saw ...


and this


and it was hard. Very hard. But he was all fixed up and everything had gone smoothly.

It is difficult to put into words the emotions of that day. Something we will never forget. We will be forever changed by the experiences we had that day. And while it is hard to look back on this day we are grateful for those who helped us through the journey of open heart surgery. Many family members, friends and acquaintances who helped with kids, kind words, understanding hearts and helping hands to make our journey a little easier. Thank you from the bottom of our "hearts."

And what is even more amazing to us is that five days after open heart surgery, Carter looked like this

and was discharged from the hospital - like nothing had ever happened. These kids who are so medically fragile are also so resilient and strong. Way to go little man.

And now a year later we are grateful even more for our little man who has brought a ray of sunshine into this world and made our home a little brighter. And he proudly shows off his battle wounds with pride!

We love you with all our "hearts"






19 comments:

Chief said...

Duke asked me what I was reading when he looked over and saw the pictures of my little boyfriend Carter. I reminded him of the little baby I talked about that was born the same month as our nephew who almost "didn't make it" but is stronger than anyone I have ever known....he remembered and we talked about what a wonderful spirit he is and ow he makes me smile so hard that my face hurts every time I see him.

I am so glad he is here to make this world a little more special.

Love you, Carterman

LeShel said...

go CARTER!

Kristin said...

I pray that Max does just as well next week - way to go Carter - you are an inspiration!!

Mindy said...

What a stud. We love that little guy.

Stephanie said...

Oh,that sweet baby!

Lia said...

What a cute little 'super hero' you've got! They bring the best feeling with them from heaven! Great post!

Emily said...

He's one amazing boy! Love the pictures!

Jeana said...

Thanks for sharing, its so good to see what we will face and that Carter did so well to be sent home in 5 days! Its so strange because our biggest goal with Kaelyn right now is to get her big so she can have heart surgery, but the idea of sending my little girl off for that scares me to death. But if she doesn't get it, she can't get better and come home.

Anonymous said...

Oh he's just perfect, isn't he!? Just strong emotions that go along with anniversaries, and relfecting on what we went through, the steps we took, the things we learned, the emotions we felt. Been doing a bit of that myself. Coming up on Preslie's 1st birthday, it's been quite emotional looking back at where I was, where I came from and how different I am now, all because of the gift God blessed me with! Carter is a gift, a perfect gift!

Misty said...

Wow! I can't believe that was one year ago.

We all love that sweet little boy. He is such an inspiration to all of us.

Thank you for this post!

Kristin said...

Great post! I can't believe it's been a year since all that...and he's doing so well, it seems from your posts. And he is a perfect child.

Doyle Family said...

You are so strong and have come so far! He is adorable!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristi & Carter :)
it was good seeing both of you the other day . I had fun hold carter while we talked before riley's speech therapy appointment.
Good Luck with your upcoming surgery in spetmeber with Carter .
If you need anything atall feel free to email me at :
firefly_32@msn.com
Take care and lots of hugs !
your friends,
Lauriann & Riley Easton

Derek, Kenzee and Gage said...

What a STRONG boy! It's like it was the hardest day ever, but such a great memory to think back about how well he did as he went through it. Look at how far he has come! You take some adorable shots!! :)

Morgan said...

We under estimate ourselves sometimes. Good thing The Lord is on our side, and knows us better than we do! Congrats for making it SO SO far. We love you all!

carolyn q said...

I can't believe that it's been a year since he had surgery. I am so glad that he is doing so well and looking so cute.

(Hugs)

Kristen's mom said...

what a difference a year makes!

Sharon said...

He's adorable! What a difference a year makes...

My Brennan was born March 27th, 2008, so our little ones are really close in age. Look forward to seeing more of sweet Carter.

Jenn said...

Wow! So familiar!! I have also been thinking of how crazy this last year has been, and how much better the next one looks. Isn't it almost unbelievable the things that these sweet babies are able to go through! He is so so cute!