YOU SHOULDN'T SWALLOW A PENNY???!!!
Oh my goodness. So sweet Ashleigh was playing with a friend Sunday night and I was getting Carter ready for bed. I heard them dump out the piggy bank and wondered what they were doing - but I was in the middle of feeding Carter a bottle.
About an hour later, after the friend has gone home, she comes up to us and says, "I swallowed a penny."
So we proceeded to try and get the story out of her - but she was not talking. We kept telling her this was serious and she may have to go to the doctor and we needed to know for sure that she did swallow the penny. After having her eat a little bit and drinking lots of water we called the on call pediatrician. She said we could take her in and have an xray but was not absolutely necessary. We decided to just wait it out as long as she was doing OK because we really didn't want to visit the ER.
Monday morning she woke up and said she could feel it in her throat - so we decided we had better take her for an xray. We did and it had already passed through her stomach and was currently moving down through the intestines. Now we are just waiting for it to pass through... Silly girl. Seriously why would you put a penny in your mouth????
On a Carter note - he failed his second hearing test so we are off to the ENT for both tonsils adenoids and hearing issues. We have an appointment with Dr. Muntz on August 10. Our audiologist said that they may just decide to put in tubes while they are taking out the tonsils and adenoids and see if they can get a passing hearing test with tubes. They will most likely also do an ABR hearing test while he is asleep for surgery because that one is a much more accurate hearing test. So far we are piggy backing quite a few procedures on this surgery - I am so glad that surgeons are willing to do this - it will definitely make it better for Carter.


12 comments:
Dear Ashleigh....maybe she thought it was a safer place than the piggy bank? Spencer swallowed a machine screw when he was 4.
My nephew is going in for tubes next week. I remember when Caleb got his, how much better life was!
piggybacking is great. I'm telling ya, once those tubes get in you'll get an accurate ABR. Thats our only accurate hearing test. He's failed every other one.
Oh dear poor Ashleigh. I hope you don't have to search for the penny, that wouldn't be fun :(
When will you know if they will put tubes in Carter's ear's? Keep us posted.
Nic once swallowed a nickle. From then on we've teased him that his name is nickelmore not nicholas.
Clayton still has a habit of putting non-food items in his mouth. Silly kids--
Anthony did tubes several times and it saved our lives! Not that Carter needs another surgery though hopefully it will help.
I am so glad they will piggy back for him! What a brave little guy he's gonna have to be.
As for your daughter... Maybe I should consider swallowing my money. Then I won't spend so much! Glad it's all turned out okay!
Guess that wasn't her 'lucky penny"
LoL. I bet those tubes make a huge difference for Carter. Great that they will piggy back.
Ouch! That just seems like it would be so painful to swallow a penny!! No fun! I'm glad the piggybacking is going to work out, it will be great for Carter. Good news!
Sorry to hear that he has to have yet another issue. Hope it goes well.
Tell Ashleigh "This too shall pass." Wishing her the best.
I just have to laugh! Sorry, but I think these 5 year olds are trouble. Not only is it horrible just to get the story out of them, but the waiting part. Glad it's on the way out :)LOL Cooper took over a week to get that metal ball out. CRAZY SILLY KIDDOS!
I think it's a kid thing. I always have to tell my kids to take money out of their mouths. I'm pretty sure recently Michael swallowed a dime, and he's 7
haha, How do kids do that? I don't think I could swallow a penny if I tried.
I'm Hua, the director of Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network, a network of over 2,000 of the best health writers on the web (including doctors, nurses, healthy living professionals, and expert patients). I think your blog would be a great addition to the Network, and I'd like to invite you to learn more about it and apply to join at Wellsphere.com/health-blogger. Once approved by our Chief Medical Officer, your posts will be republished on Wellsphere where they will be available to over 5 million monthly visitors who come to the site looking for health information and support. There’s no cost and no extra work for you! The HealthBlogger page (http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger) provides details about participation, but if you have any questions please feel free to email me at hua@wellsphere.com.
Best,
Hua
Sorry to hear about the hearing test. Sam went to the ENT yesterday and he has fluid in both his ears and will most likely need tubes. I hope it helps.
Post a Comment