Wednesday, July 15, 2009

And the verdict is.....


Carter does not have a hemorrhoid. Yeah for good news!

But what he does have is several skin tags and a possible fistula. So they do need to be cut off - bad news.

The surgeon completely agrees with me and will piggy back this surgery with the tonsils and adenoids. Yeah for only one surgery!

So I was sitting at the surgeons office filling out the paperwork and was thinking that I really just need to type out a medical history and take it with me to each appointment. It takes so long to go through the whole history of hospitalizations, surgeries - this time it asked me for the list of doctors who have treated Carter (boy that would take a while if I could even remember everyone's name). So to all you Mom's who have children with long medical histories - have you done something like this? I am thinking that I need to list hospitalizations, surgeries, medical issues and doctors - do you think I would need any other information? I just think this would make appointments less complicated and it would be something I could update and just keep on hand.

We have an appointment with a Ear, Nose Throat doctor next week - but have just recently heard from a Mom who said that Dr. Muntz at PCMC has specialized in sleep apnea so I am trying to get an appointment with him. Problem is they won't even schedule an appointment until Carter's pediatrician has sent a referral - so that is on the to do list tomorrow. We'll see what happens along those lines.

Tomorrow we are off to have another hearing test and a speech therapy appointment. I am seriously beginning to think that Carter just doesn't really want to eat. He is in the stage now of just spitting everything out that goes in - not very effective in getting calories - but fun none the less. Wish us luck!!

15 comments:

Derek, Kenzee and Gage said...

How stinkin' cute is that picture?! I just love it!! And am so happy to hear the good news! And that is so great they will piggy-back the surgeries. That is totally the smartest way to go, way awesome!
What a smart idea to keep a list on hand so you don't have to do it for each appointment like they ask you to. Very smart, I might have to try that!
I'm anxious to see what you find out about Dr. Muntz. I ended up changing an appointment with him for the middle of August, I did it yesterday, and there were only 2 appointments left for that day... So keep the other one at least until you find out how long it may take to get in with him!
Good luck with feeding time, don't you just love the mess they make! I think it is so cute though, so much fun!

Our Favorite Things said...

I tell you, he is just adorable... I can't even believe how big he looks in this picture.

P.S. I miss my kisses and hugs, Carter!

Our Favorite Things said...

By the way, Kristie, I hope you don't care that I blog stalk you...if you want to check out our blog it is shawnaandvince.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Krisie,
if you go to speech therapy at primary childrens clinic in taylorsville I would recomend Kevin Woodword. That is Riley's speech therapist. He is really good and Riley has picked up signing and is doing very well.
Good luck on your tonsil and adnoid surgery, Riley had that done when he was 6 months old .my advice to you is stay on top of the pain every 4 to 6 hrs with pain meds they give you and plenty fluids to drink and you should be ok.
Also if you are worried about Carter not getting enough calories talk to your pediatrican about putting him on pediasure . Dr Durham Riley's Pediatrican has had him on pediasure becuase on weight issues, Wic pays for the pediasure which is nice. anyway hope this helps and good luck with everything .

Anonymous said...

sorry about the typo error on your name i was holding riley and trying to type with one hand :)

Emily said...

One surgery is for all of that is great news! Hope the feeding issue gets better.

Denise said...

Good news!! Yes, we are still hoping to make it to Utah the beginning of August. I am trying REALLY hard to work it out. I hope that isn't when Carter's surgery will be!! If it all works out for us...we would probably be in UT approx August 3rd. Keep your fingers crossed as I would love to meet this sweet boy who is just days apart in age from Ella.

Anonymous said...

Muntz is great, he has done 2 or 3 sets of tubes for Lily! He wasn't there when she had her tonsils and adnoids taken out.
I have 3" - 3 ring binders for everyone in the family. They contain every piece of paper we get from the doctor. Mine go back to the 1980's when my sons were born, kind of fun to look back on. Some of us have more than one. It is very convient to look back for something. What I should do and haven't, especially for Lily, is make a timeline, just basic oneliners of what procedures were done on what day. This could be easily added to and printed out for new doctors. It would be easy enough for me to do with everything filed the way I have, I just haven't done it yet - start now! Don't wait tell they're 10. He's adorable!!

Lacey said...

Remind me to show you our binder. It has been fabulous and everyone at the hospital loves it. We had Grimmer for our ENT. He did Jax and Arianna, I don't know Muntz so I don't know how he is. I have a blankie for you, so I'll show you Jax binder when I give you the blankie.

LeShel said...

Cutest picture I have EVER seen!!

Jenn said...

He is so cute! What a great idea to type everything out. Addy's only 9 mos and believe it or not I have forgotten some of our hospital stays, and dates. One thing I thought of on your list was maybe medications and how he reacted. Especially pain meds with surgery. Good luck with everything!
Jenn

Stephanie said...

Carter is so adorable! I love that pic. Great that they will combine the surgeries.. that's one less.

Kristin said...

That picture of Carter is adorable. What a great idea to start a 'medical journal'. At only 3 months, I already have piles of paperwork on Max (mostly adoption stuff, but the medical records are catching up!).

Denise said...

That will be such a bummer if we miss you in UT. We are bound by a wedding in TX on August 8 so can't push back our visit to UT at all. I was really looking forward to meeting Carter...but we really aren't that far apart so I definitely think it will happen before we know it. As for commenting on my last post...maybe you are confused by the fact that myself, Emily and Darlena all had a similar post and you probably posted on one of theirs :) I promise that I didn't delete it!!

Tausha said...

Okay, Sam hasn't had any surgeries and I still feel like each Doctor visit is a recap of the last year and it takes forever. I was told by my neighbor right when he was born to do a 3 ring binder that is sectioned off into different groups. We have one for all his SSI stuff, one for Insurance, one for all his medical records, one for early intervention, one with all his doctors names/numbers etc. It has been so nice and easy to find what I need when I need it. I was planning on taking that binder with me to all his Doctor appts so I could just give them a copy of the records so they can read and know what is going on. I haven't really had to use it yet although at a year he has to go see an ENT so I am going to pull the big ol binder out. That is interesting that you say your little guy has skin tags. Sam had one on his little bum when he was born. It's still there and hasn't caused any concern yet but it's good to know he isn't the only one and that I should be aware that if it does cause problems we can just get it snipped off. Thanks for this post.