Tuesday, July 7, 2009

15 month check up

Yesterday Carter had his 15 month well child check - it was a long appointment.

Carter weighs 19 pounds 12 ounces (I think this is the third time he has weighed this exact same weight)
Carter is 28 inches tall (Translation - he is going to be short!)

We got the results from the sleep study which shows that he has severe obstructive sleep apnea. The doctor says the tonsils and adenoids have to come out. We have made an appointment with the Ear Nose Throat doctor for July 22. Translation - this could explain why he falls asleep so fast and so often - he just isn't getting a good nights rest with that many episodes of apnea. The sleep study also showed that if he is not on oxygen he desats 66 times per hour - that is a lot. Needless to say we will not be saying good-bye to the oxygen anytime soon.

We also had the doctor check for fluid in his ear so we can follow up with another hearing test. After scoping out his ear he could see fluid in the ear on Carter's right side - but still could not see far enough in to check his left side. We have another hearing test scheduled for next week and if he doesn't pass again we will have the Ear Nose Throat doctor take a look.

We think Carter has a hemorrhoid so I asked that doctor what we could do to help him and he gave me a list of general surgeons - WHAT???? Ok not what I was expecting - not at all - don't they just go away??? We have made an appointment for Monday to have a surgeon look at him. If he does need surgery we are going to try our hardest to piggy back this surgery with the tonsils so he only has to be put under anesthesia once. Seriously - what else can we put this poor kid through.

Other than those minor (major) things Carter is doing well. He has started to army crawl - Translation - nothing is safe.......

Anyone want to play a game of UNO spin? This game was a safe enough distance away from him - but evidently he is getting pretty good at the army crawl. Doesn't he look pleased?

We have a family tradition to go camping over the 4th of July so we headed up to the Spruces campground for 5 days. It was a lot of fun. Carter did so well sleeping - unfortunately because of the higher elevation if the oxygen cannula came out of his nose his monitor went off. Translation - Mom and Dad did not sleep much. But each morning this is what we look forward to....
One very happy boy who is loving the camping thing!! Parker and Ashleigh thought it was fun to be camping all together as a family - last year we took turns bringing Carter home at night because we couldn't risk him getting sick.

We hope all of you had a happy 4th of July as well.

11 comments:

Chief said...

I'm thinking I should snag the smiley picture and put it next to my bed so I can wake up to that every morning too. You wouldn't mind, would you? My kids wake up so grumpy!

COOLWHIP said...

OH, I remember the day Eva learned to crawl. Then they walk, then they climb, then they learn to push the chair to things to get on top of them. This is just the beginning...... He is so cute, I'm glad you are getting problems lined up and fixed. I didn't know kids got hemmoroids, that stinks.

Lacey said...

I felt so bad after we finally got a sleep study for Jax. It always got put on the backburner, but now i know why he was such a horrible sleeper. Sheesh.
I am going to pick up some more blankets today at the fabric center. I'll bring you one. If you didn't see Michaels daughter at the end. Its all over the Today show and CNN, you can't miss it. It was beautiful and unscripted.

Denise said...

I need to get Ella in for her 15 month too!! It will be fun to see how close they are in size. So I keep hearing everyone talking about doing sleep studies. What signs have you had that made you think to check it. Ella sleeps all night without incident and even when we have been in the same room on trips, I don't really hear her snoring or anything. Just don't want to miss having her checked for something. VERY cute pics of him with the Uno cards. I hope we get to meet soon.

Mindy said...

I love the new pictures. I hope the Dr. appointments go well and your able to piggy back those surgeries, poor kid. But at least he is always happy when he wakes up.

Emily said...

Wow... that was quite a bit of info. Poor little guy. I hope he only has to go under once. Piggy back would be awesome! He is so darn cute. Darling pictures!

LeShel said...

what a cute army crawl. i love that he's now in on the UNO games as well as camping!

Denise said...

Here is the website for where we got the Ds shirt....they have it in blue also http://clothing.cafepress.com/item/down-syndrome-princess-infant-creeper/65502139

Derek, Kenzee and Gage said...

How stinkin' cute is Carter!!?! Oh such a doll! I'm sorry to hear the results about the apnea. I'm just so happy you were able to find out now so you can get it taken care of as soon as possible. Who is going to be your ENT if you don't mind me asking? We had Dr. Muntz and he was fabulous since he specialized in sleep apnea. He also did the surgery and we have so far seen no problems whatsoever. Very personable guys as well. I really hope the hearing test goes well! Gage is yet to pass in his left ear, not so fun. I just have to say, I love your happy attitude about everything and how positive you are about it all. I really think it makes all the difference. If you have ANY questions at all about the surgery, apnea, or anything, please let me know!! My e-mail is kenzeeanderson@hotmail.com.

Anonymous said...

Great photos!

Doyle Family said...

It looks like you had a lot of fun camping!