So Monday night Carter had his sleep study done and boy what a fun time we had. We arrived at the hospital at 8:00 p.m. and started this whole process. After filling out pages of paperwork and putting him in his pj's we were all set to hook him up.
This is Carter all happy and laughing while we waited for the technician to come in with all the electrodes.
He was being so funny and laughing so much. When the technician came in she asked if he was sleepy yet - I kind of laughed and said, "Does it sound like it?" Yeah not really.
We started hooking him up to everything at 9:15 p.m. and he was finally ready to go at 10:00 p.m. I fed him his bottle and off to sleep he went. I wish I could have taken pictures as they were putting everything on but I was in front of him trying to keep him happy and keep his hands busy so he wouldn't pull everything off.
They tried to keep him on room air - but his saturations would not cooperate at all. After a few minutes of hanging out in the low 80's they had to turn on the oxygen. I kept telling them that hanging out in the low 80's is not normal at all for Carter. He is usually 86 and above. Honestly though, with all the tape, the sensor in his nose, the cannula and everything else - there probably wasn't enough room to breathe in enough room air to keep his saturations up. This kind of frustrated me - but I guess we will see what the study shows. He slept pretty good - only fussing two times during the night. I on the other hand did not sleep so well. It was hard to sleep through all the people coming in and out and the camera on the wall recording everything.
They came in at 6:00 to wake us up and do a lab draw on Carter. The lab technician said Carter must have passed his sleep study because he was asleep. I asked him to do a soft poke so as not to wake him and guess what? Carter slept through the whole blood draw - that man gets an "A".
The technicians then came in and started unhooking everything - and they sat Carter up and he clearly did not want to be awake yet. He kept fussing - but his eyes were closed. When his eyes decided to open he gave the technician the biggest grin. She wanted to go and get the camera and take a picture of Carter because he was being so cute. Her words were, "He would make a great candidate for our after picture on our flyer - look how happy he is - see sleep studies aren't so bad!" But how anyone can sleep with all the wires coming out of everywhere is beyond me!
We now get to wait 2-3 weeks for the results. Can't wait to hear what they say!


9 comments:
Good job Carter! Who requested the sleep study? I've heard about them, but have never been told to give Justin one. Hope all turns out well!
It takes an Angel to be THAT tolerant of it all!
I can't believe he slept thru the blood draw, what a stud. Hope everything turns out well.
the kids always handle it better than the parents. Hope all goes well!
Hi smile is truly contagious!! He looks absolutely adorable.
I'm amazed he slept through a blood draw. Either it's happened so many times it's just common place or you need to hire that guy to follow you around and take care of all the yucky pokes.
thats exactly what I said, how do they sleep with all that crap on their face. How does everyone not fail sleep studies? Can't wait to hear what they have to say.
Funny a sleep study and he sleeps all night long. Silly Boy! He is so stinking CUTE! Sleeping through the pokes is AWESOME!!!! Way to go Carter. Sorry you have to wait so long for results. Oh well. HE IS SO CUTE!!!!
He can sleep anywhere between that and sleping in the high chair! This isn't going to be so good once he starts school. :) Thanks for sharing his beautiful smile.
Bless your heart, we've been through several of those ourselves.
They aren't fun, but they sure do provide valuable information!
Tammy and Parker
www.prayingforparker.com
www.5minutesforspecialneeds.com
@ParkerMama on Twitter
Post a Comment