Today is an anniversary - one year ago today we were able to pack up all our stuff, put Carter in a car seat and walk out the doors of PCMC for the first time as a family. After 59 long days, we were allowed to journey past the doors that once held us back from being together as a family. It is a very sweet memory. We had prayed and prayed that this day would come - but it seemed to drag on and on and wasn't quite within our grasp. No matter how close we would get - something was there to hold us back. It seemed to me that discharging patients only happened to those who were in the shared room with Carter (until we got a private room). I think we sent home 12 different roommates before enough was enough and we went to a private room because it was so hard to see so many babies go home and still be stuck in the hospital.
We thank all the nurses (especially our special nurses: Amanda, Jodi, Katie, Trisha and so many others) and doctors who helped Carter while in the hospital - especially Dr. Fassl who stood up for us and allowed us to go home even though his student resident wanted to keep us longer. He also stood up for us with the pharmacy when they screwed up a prescription and we ended up overdosing Carter on some medicine the night we brought him home - thank goodness it was not his Digoxin (heart medicine) because that would have killed him.
I remember bringing him home to a bunch of family and friends who were anxiously waiting on our front lawn - with decorations everywhere. Thank you all so much for supporting us on such a marvelous day. We can't thank you enough. I remember how scared I was about bringing home a medically fragile baby - one who needed a lot of medications just to keep him going. It was complicated and frightening - but we survived and we are stronger now for what we have been through.
Here is to another great year!!
Carter's sign that was put up on his door announcing his impending departure




9 comments:
Thanks for sharing. He is an awesome boy with an awesome family. we love you all.
What a happy day that must have been.
Its so funny how we have all these anniversary's that we celebrate huh, surgery date's and dates they went home from the hospital. I have another blankie for you if they will ever finish it at Fabric center.
tears of joy!
LOVE YOU GUYS
I'm sure that was a day you'll never forget! There are so many special days. He is precious!
I can only imagine the emotions that were running wild that day! Look what an amazing job you have done.
Wow! Look how much he's grown and how far he has come. That is great!!
Wow - I feel like you guys are climbing mountains - and you don't even show the stress! You're amazing! Congrats!
I am so glad it's a day of celebration...its amazing how with our children, these things mean so much to us...the dates, the anniversaries. Each day is a gift...and NOW i fully realize that! He is precious!
I am not quite sure what his last name starts with...he had dark hair with a bit of gray coming it...but younger, so almost looked like pre-mature gray (does that make sense?) and he wore glasses I think. I honestly felt like he had NO idea.
Preslie is only on O's when she sleeps...awake she does ok, but the moment she falls asleep her sats plumet. Oh it was so good to see her 'cordless' in Cali...she seemed so much happier, as you would without those dang things in your nose! :)
Post a Comment