Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A very long day

Yesterday we went to the Down Syndrome clinic at PCMC. We have never been to this clinic but had been told it would be a good idea to go. Our appointment was at 10:30 so we headed out on our journey at 9:45.

We got to the Down Syndrome clinic and checked in. Carter's weight was checked (19 pounds 12 ounces - 50th percentile) and length was checked (27.5 inches - 5th percentile). We met with a nurse who went over several things to be aware of and to watch for - and then we met with the doctor. She is going to send us and our pediatrician a list of what things need to be tested when - thyroid, hearing, eyesight etc.

We scheduled a sleep study for Sunday night - but if Carter is not over his cold/cough we cannot do it - we will have to postpone.

The doctor also recommended that we do the thyroid check and a hearing test while at PCMC that day. At noon we left the Down Syndrome clinic.

Then up to the fourth floor for a hearing test. Carter failed his hearing test in both ears - which is not good. There is a possibility that because he is sick he has fluid in his middle ear. We were given two options - have our pediatrician look in his ears for fluid - and if he can't see any - we retest the hearing. Or we wait for 6-8 weeks to let the fluid drain - retest his ears and if he doesn't pass visit the pediatrician to look for fluid. We know he can hear - but there is a possibility that what he is hearing is garbled - so we need to follow up on this. If there is fluid in there and it won't drain, we will be visiting an Ear Nose Throat doctor to see if tubes can be put in.

Down to the lab for a blood draw - not too bad - a little finger prick - a little crying - a vial of blood - all done.

By now it is 1:15 so Ashleigh and I went to the cafeteria for some lunch and to feed Carter. After lunch I decided to visit the medical records office to request Carter's medical records. I requested some records but was told that the first 10 pages are free and after that it is 20 cents a copy. I really want all the records but I am scared at what it would cost at 20 cents a page. His chart was thinned twice while we were in the hospital so the bill could be several hundred dollars. I am waiting for them to call me with a total - but I am nervous about what it will cost. I really think one copy of the medical records should be included in the hospital bill - don't you think after paying $200,000 to the hospital we could be allowed one copy of the medical records? I think that sounds reasonable and fair. I guess I will wait and see what I got myself into.

We left the hospital at 2:40 and made it home just in time to pick up kids from school. A long day - but we got a lot of stuff done so I can't complain. Besides how can you say no to this cute kiddo?

8 comments:

Emily said...

Awww.... you can't say no to your cutie! He is such a doll! I have heard about the Down syndrome clinic at PCMC, but have never been. I probably should look into it. Good luck with your medical records total and all the testing that was done on your sweet boy!

LeShel said...

I think you should definitely get a copy of all medical records. How ridiculous. What's up with the .20cents per copy. We all know it's cheaper than that to make copies.

I must say though your little guys face has me wrapped up in his arms.

Long day, I'm impressed you pulled it all off. I hope you got some sleep that night.

WV: Mines; meaning thems mines medical records, give them to me!

Jodi said...

I don't think you can say no to that. He's just too sweet! Let us know how the next hearing test goes.

Mindy said...

He is a cutie. Keep us up to date on his hearing test, and your "copy" bill. .20 per page is nuts.

Lacey said...

Don't you just love spending the whole day up there? Jax failed every hearing test until we put tubes in. I think every downs kid just needs tubes. After the tubes we got an accurate hearing test that shows significant hearing loss, no surprise. But I'm worried about putting hearing aids on him with siezures, I don't want to overstimulate him. I was lucky to get some of my medical records because my lawyer got them, but there is more I want, they definitly should come along with it. Our long stay was over 600,000 dollars, I think you could throw that in.;)

Misty said...

You are such a trooper Krisit. After all that you even offered to do the soccer driving! You definitely deserve Leatherbys after such a grueling day. Next time you have appointments like that, please let Ashleigh come play!

One Happy Heart Family said...

Sorry about the long day. Our PCMC visits are way long too. Oh the poor guy being sick is no fun. I hope things clear up and he pass's the test. Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I have been lurking for awhile. My kiddo is 5. He has DS and many of the same issues that Jaxson has. I saw your comment on the other site about eh medicaid thing. Feel free to e-mail me and maybe I can help you get some answers. States don't like to give this info out. You have to know about it to ask about it. Kind of infuriating. Christopher, my son, hit the $5 million mark when he was about 18 months, so our insurance has been maxed out for awhile.

Here is my info.
www.carepages.com OurLittleMan
stephani.wyatt@att.net