A brief visit with the RN and we are on our way downstairs to medical imaging. The MRI technician came in, explained how things would work. We asked about his sternal wires (we didn't want him to get sucked up into the MRI machine - that would not have been good. A vision of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory just came to mind - hee!hee!) and they said we were good with those. The anesthesiologist then came in and told us what was going to happen. We were scared, he was scared. He told us that if at any point Carter could not handle the procedure they would immediately quit. We hoped he would cooperate and allow us a glimpse at what is happening when he is asleep. Words cannot explain how terrified I was when they were going over what could happen if he had a complete obstruction. But I was brave for my little man and told him he needed to cooperate so we will know how to help him best.
We waited a little longer and played with a fun noisy toy and blew bubbles (Carter loves bubbles). Before we knew it a MRI gurney rolled in and they were ready. We specifically asked them to look for the cyst they had drained during his surgery in September (the one blocking his airway). Alan and I both know something is getting worse - we can tell by the way he sleeps - by the way he eats - he is struggling for breath at times. We think there is a possibility the cyst could be back.
and waited........
and waited more.........
at 10:20 I was starting to panic - it had been an hour.
We waited more..........
and more..........
and more.
I was starting to freak out - Alan calmly said if there was a problem we would have heard a Code Blue called.
Breathing.........
breathing........
breathing..........
aaaaahhhh - the tech comes out at 10:50.
He is done..........all is well.
and waited more.........
at 10:20 I was starting to panic - it had been an hour.
We waited more..........
and more..........
and more.
I was starting to freak out - Alan calmly said if there was a problem we would have heard a Code Blue called.
Breathing.........
breathing........
breathing..........
aaaaahhhh - the tech comes out at 10:50.
He is done..........all is well.
I guess I need to read up more on this because the nurse asked me if I was ever scared to take care of him at home. "No, but the way you are asking me that makes me think that I should be scared to take care of him at home." Another question, "Does he wear an oximeter at night?" "Yes" I answer. "That's good," she says.
Carter woke up and immediately removed the remaining nasal trumpet - he saw no reason to have that in his nose. He also tried to pull the oximeter probe off his thumb and then removed his own IV on his foot. You could definitely tell he did not want to be there any longer. We didn't even have to wait for Carter to drink a bottle - they said he could go. We briefly met up with Lacey and Ray (Jaxson's mom and dad) so I could give her back a blanket I had finished. Please continue to pray for that cute Jaxson - that he gets to go home soon! Then we were on our way home.
So now we wait more......for the official results. We have made our appointment with the sleep medicine doctor for the beginning of March. Until then we will try our hardest to keep oxygen on the little man at night - even though he hates it. Again, thank you for your love, support and prayers.


11 comments:
He is such a sweet boy, I love how strong willed he is. I hate having to wait for the results, it just causes to much stress. And did he get a mohawk? I'm loving the new "do"
I have been waiting impatiently to hear how all went today. I am SO HAPPY to hear it sounds like you will have answers. I cannot believe that he has 100% obstruction, I sure hope everything is able to get worked out really soon.
I don't blame Carter at all for wanting to get out of there after all that, I bet you wanted to get out of there just as bad! So glad today is over, and we look forward to hearing what you find out. We love you, guys!
Such a brave little guy. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.
100% is crazy! Poor sweet boy is so strong. I know you are anxious for some answers... we'll continue to pray for you guys. xoxo
How brave! I hope you have more answers soon. Glad you got to come right home though :)
thanks for the update. It's good to hear how life is going. I will keep him and your family in my prayers. I am glad you have good doctors and nurses working with you.
Glad that's over with for all of you. I was stressed just reading.
But, if it's his tongue obstructing his airway, what can be done?
sending prayers! And waiting for another update.
Glad you got to see Lacey. That must have been nice.
Well, poo!
Im pissed.
Why can't it all just go and leave his alone
I'm glad that everything went well for you and Carter!!! We will continue to pray for you!!!
What a day for you all...so glad the procedure went well and that you will be getting some answers soon. I will keep you all in my prayers....thanks for giving us an update on your sweet little man.
I am so happy to hear that the MRI went well - whew!
I hope the results give you the clarity you need!
XXX
Post a Comment