Sunday, March 8, 2009

An update on all our appointments

I meant to do this update earlier this week - but the laundry kept calling and it is still calling and I can't seem to get a handle on it. But we had several appointments this week:

1) Dr. Burch (the surgeon) - we went and saw him bright and early Wednesday morning (like 8:30 bright and early - hello do you know what time we have to leave to get there by 8:30 in rush hour traffic???) He was a little disappointed that Carter's wound isn't closing as fast as he thought. Um, that could be because he mother is super efficient and a perfectionist and I wanted to get the gauze just right and not mess it up - and evidently I am packing it too full - and it isn't allowing the wound to close. Oops - that is totally my fault - but how was I to know?? So after further instruction, I am now packing less and it seems to be closing now. We go back to see him bright and early this Wednesday morning as well - yeah another 8:30 appointment!!

2) Dr. Morales - the helmet doctor - luckily his appointment was at 9:30 so we just walked from Clinic A over to Clinic B and met with him. He was absolutely floored at how much Carter's head has changed with his helmet. His head had grown 1.5 centimeters since we saw him last. We are nearly done!! He said normally he would see us back in 6 weeks but because of all the progress Carter had made we go back in 4 weeks and we will be done!! April 1st is the day we lose the helmet - provided everything goes as planned. March 31 is his birthday and so happy birthday to him - we can take everything off his head and just see his beautiful face which has always been covered with oxygen tubes, feeding tubes and helmets!!

3) DDI Early Intervention - we have been practicing really hard on sitting up and using his legs - which he doesn't acknowledge that he has yet. This week he has found his feet and has started playing with them - he has never noticed them before so we are super excited. He is now sitting for a few minutes at a time unassisted - but then he leans too far and tips over. But he is improving and getting better everyday. I just tell my self over and over - slow and steady wins the race. He is definitely slow and and steady and he is definitely making improvements.

4) Synagis shot - got his March round of Synagis on Friday. He weighed in at 19 pounds 8 ounces - so he had to get two shots which he was not happy about. We should have one more shot in April and then we are done for now.

It's been a busy week!! I am now going to try and coax Carter into going to sleep - because it is 11:30 p.m. and he is still awake just jabbering away. Did I mention that I really hate changing to Daylight Savings in the spring???? What a way to mess up your schedule. Oh well - I do like that it is lighter for longer in the evening.

6 comments:

LeShel said...

Sounds like a positive update. I'm glad his head is doing so well. I don't understand half of what you said because I'm a layman mom who doesn't need a nursing degree. It sounds though like you're doing a wonderful job taking care of Carter and most important loving him SO much. I can't wait to see picts helmet free with big smiles and playing with his new find (feet)!

Mindy said...

His improvements are awesome, what a strong boy.
The daylight savings messed my kids up this morning as well, yesterday they didnt notice due to having late church we don't get up too early around here, but today oh my that was hard.

Lacey said...

Don't you love a week full of appointments? I'm just praying for summer so we can go outside and play.

Anonymous said...

Good luck this week my friend with all the appointments. Glad they are going well, so far...no major setbacks! Keep hoping, praying and taking one day at a time! :)

rochelle said...

Sounds like WONDERFUL news! I love it when life hands us something sweet every once in a while. It's great to hear.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear Carter will no longer have to wear the helmet-Yea!! Sounds like you had a busy week - I dread those times - so many doctors and so much info - I have seriously thought of videotaping our dr. apptmts just to catch all the info. We will be praying that his incision will heal completely - don't beat yourself up for being super careful - we did the same thing with Mark's g-tube opening - too much gauze!! Much love and continued blessings from our family to yours!