Monday, February 23, 2009

Surgery is over and all is well

Well that was quick. We got here at 11:00 and after waiting 4 hours they took Carter back at 3:00. We went down to grab a quick bite to eat and when we came back from the cafeteria we went to check in at the surgery waiting room and the surgeon Dr. Burch walked in right behind us and said he was done. They drained all the fluid, cut out some of the tissue, removed the bottom wire, packed the incision and he is ready to roll again. Dr. Burch said the infection was superficial and so that was great news. We are just waiting for them to call us back and we can go see him. He was certainly happy as could be before surgery, smiling at all the nurses and doctors. And considering he hasn't eaten since 11:00 last night he was remarkably calm.

We will be staying at the hospital for 24 hours so he can have some nice IV antibiotics and then they will send him home with oral antibiotic.

They called us back to PACU before we could get this posted. I went back to the room and he was drinking pedialyte, happy as could be, wide awake. I mentioned that he looked really good and she said he was on his second bottle and he was awake when they rolled him out of surgery. We quickly got moved up to a room on the 3rd floor and we are now all settled in. Carter is very happy, drinking apple juice, laughing and having a grand time. The incision looks about an inch long and it is left open and packed well with gauze. This doesn't seem to bother him yet - we will see how it goes when they have to change the gauze.

Thanks for all the prayers - we appreciate them very much and know that they help!!

Kristi and Alan

5 comments:

Mindy said...

Awesome, I can't believe how fast that went. What a blessing that he is doing so well. I'm so happy for all of you.

Peterson Family said...

I am glad things went well for him during his surgery. It is kind of funny, Emma had surgery today on the tumor in her ear at Jordan Valley. Today is the day for successful surgeries I suppose. Miracles happen every day. JEN

Peterson Family said...

I am glad his surgery went well. Where were you guys at? Emma had surgery on the tumor in her ear today at Jordan Valley. I guess today is the day for successful surgeries. JEN

Anonymous said...

Oh such good news. They are such resilient children that have so much to teach us. I am so grateful that all is well and he is all smiles! I have needed good news...

Christina said...

I am so glad the surgery went well. I hope Carter is recovering well and that you get to go home today.

Hugs & Prayers,
Christina
Jacob's Momma