We have had a busy couple of weeks. We met with the speech therapist who is working on his feeding issues and she is still very impressed by what she is seeing him doing. She said to go ahead and start grinding up real food that we eat and letting him try it because he is at an age where he wants to experiment with new textures and tastes. This has been going really well and he loves eating the good stuff. We have tried mashed "real" bananas, broccoli, potatoes and carrots and he is loving the new stuff. He even loves cheese puffs but doesn't really know what to do when a piece comes off and it is in his mouth.
He is loving the no oxygen during the day as well as his mother who loves dragging him all around without tubes. I mentioned in Relief Society during our grateful minute that I was grateful to have a cordless and wireless baby. Not many can appreciate that fully unless you have had a baby who requires oxygen and feeding pumps and all sorts of other medical equipment. Just the mere act of putting him in the car seat and walking out the door seems like a little miracle every day. I will never again take for granted the little things in life.
We also had his post op urology visit and I think I now hold the world's record for fastest appointment at PCMC. We walked into the urology dept at 1:00 for his appointment - sat down for two seconds - nurse called him back - asked how much he weighed - said Dr. would be right in - Dr. comes in right away - takes a look - everything looks wonderful - no follow up needed - shows us the prize box for Carter and Ashleigh to pick from - back to room - dress Carter - out in hallway at 1:12!! Twelve minutes - never have I had an appointment like that!! I wish we could be so lucky for other appointments. Of course it was a two hour round trip because of travel time and the visit to the cafeteria to get lunch for Ashleigh who was starving.
And now to the not so great news - this is what makes me wonder if it ever ends. So on Sunday the bottom of Carter's heart surgery scar started to turn red. I was watching it carefully and on Wednesday night noticed that a puss pocket had formed as well. I called the cardiologist early this morning and talked to the nurse who suggested that he needed to be seen today. OK - so I make an appointment in the afternoon. I take him up to his appointment because this is what his scar looks like now:
On a lighter note - because I could really use one - Parker dressed Carter up in his school uniform. I guess he thought that if he was wearing the uniform he could sneak him off to school - I don't think he'll pass (mostly because he can't walk and he doesn't know how to be quiet) but he sure looked cute and it was pretty funny!


13 comments:
Oh I'm so sorry. We will keep you in our thoughts a prays. I love that he was flirting with the nurses, what a cutie.
Congradulations Parker, he is getting so big.
I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. I hope the antibiotics do their job. Jacob got a staph infection too but we were still at PCMC then. Praying for you guys!
Hugs & Prayers,
Christina
Jacob's Momma
We're doing the same thing with Eva right now. She has a raging stapf infection... on her butt. It is horrible, and painful, and the antibiotics upset her tummy, and she's potty trained, and it's giving her diahrea.
Hers are big boils and she hurts when she sits. If they don't clear up with this oral antibiotic, it's off to Primarys to check for MRSA and IV's.
Good luck, we did have a good year between tubes staph and a broken arm, where she was healthy!
Congrats on the Arrow of Light, that is big!
We missed you running last night - Lia told me what happened and I've been thinking about you ever since. If you need a break from anything, please let me know!
Oh, and Parker is so great!:) I love how kids are so creative and always find a way to have a good time.
I am so sorry about this, too. I hope that there will be a miracle with the antibiotics between now and Wednesday and he won't have to have the surgery! Your family will be in my prayers.
Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry to hear that there are problems! We will be hoping for the best for you all! Congrats Parker on the Arrow of Light! Big achievement!!!
You are in our thoughts and prayers!
I love the school uniform, after all get him used to it early he'll be there in a few years!
Sorry to hear about the stress and pending concerns. It's such an experience. I'm sure some days it just hurts to get out of bed, if only you could stay and rest. Your children are beautiful.
Aghh. Kristi - that is so frustrating and scary. I am sorry. You are a trooper. Thanks for keeping us up to date. All our best.
So frustrating. Why is it that someone so little and cute has to go through so much. Arrgh. You are in our prayers.
And props to Parker for almost figuring out a way to sneak out of school. Brilliant! :)
Parker,
It looks like you are ready to me! I can't wait until we can see your sweet face every day!
Love,
Mrs. Hatch
I meant Carter, not Parker...duh! Parker you look very official in your scout uniform! Way to GO!
Mrs. Hatch again
Hi there, I found your blog through little Gracie, I am from IHH also, Little Kylie's scar got infected also. They said she was too skinny it was also caused by the wire, they said they could just go in and pull the wire out, not a big deal. YES to them not us. It cleared up with anitbiotics and didn't happen again after OHS #2. Carter is such a cutie pie. Hope you don't mind me following your blog. We have one for Kylie, but it is private I would love to invite you.
Post a Comment