Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Update - Hour 4 - Surgery Complete

We just met with Dr. Phillip Burch, Carter's surgeon. All went as well as expected. He ligated the PDA, sutured the ASD and placed a patch over the VSD. He even gave us the leftover piece of fabric from his VSD. Due to Trisomy 21 (a.k.a. Down Syndrome), they discovered his Aortic arch goes to the right instead of the left like other people. The concern was that the arch going to the right can put pressure on the trachea but he didn't see evidence of that.

Carter's heart is running well but he'll be on a ventilator for at least a day, maybe two. He'll be on a bit of diuretics to get the excess fluid from his system and then we'll move forward. There were no leaks on the echo done on Carter after surgery.

We'll get to see him about 2:00 to 2:15 and post at least one more entry today.

Sorry if this seems rambling. Just estatic that we are done and can start the recovery.

Love,
Alan & Kristi

5 comments:

Christina said...

Yea! I am glad all went well. Dr Burch assisted Dr Kouretas on Jacob's surgery.
I know it will be hard to see him for the first time, but remember that this will HELP him in the long run.
Thanks for the updates. I have been praying for you guys.
Here is hoping for a speedy and uncomplicated recovery!

Hugs & Prayers,
Christina
Jacob's momma

Christi said...

Great news. I'm so glad it went well. Let us know when visitors are welcome. I hope you and Kristi are hanging in there...what a long wait, but I know Carter will be just fine...little cutie. Love the onsie about the 3am party in the crib. - Christi

Mindy said...

We are so happy everything went well for Carter. Remember you are always in our thoughts and prayers.

sardufour said...

Hey guys (this is Christi's sister Sarah) we are so glad to hear things went well with the surgery and we have been thinking about all of you and Carter! I'm sure it is a big relief to have his surgery over and I bet he will just keep doing better each day and be feeling so much better with them fixing all that!! We send our love!
Sarah, Fabrice and Gavin

The Cardin's said...

So glad that surgery is finished and that all went well. Thank you for posting updates. Kept checking back to see how things were going. He is such a cutie! Glad that all is going well. I wish you all a speedy recovery! - Love, Teresa