Friday, September 19, 2008

Post Op Follow-up Visit

We had Carter's post op follow up visit with the Cardiologist and the Cardiothoracic Nurse Practitioner on Wednesday morning. Everything looks good as far as the healing and scar goes. They were a little concerned about his weight - but I think there is a mistake in their charts so I am not that concerned. They said he left the hospital at the same weight he had weighed in at that day. However, I know we left the hospital with him weighing 15 pounds and he is now at 16 pounds 1 ounce - so I feel that is great progress for 2 weeks.

Dr Tristani (the Cardiologist that was doing post op work) said that his heart on the chest x-ray is already smaller than when he left the hospital. That means his heart is not having to work so hard so that is excellent news. He also said there was a difference in his lungs and that everything is starting to clear up with regards to his lungs. We were hoping that they would say we could be done with oxygen - but unfortunately that was the one piece of bad news we received. They said he would have to be on oxygen until we came back to see the cardiologist in FOUR MONTHS! Darn - we were so hoping that we were almost done with dragging around oxygen.

He told us to do half doses of Lasix (the diuretic) on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and then discontinue the Lasix all together on Saturday. The only two medications he has left is for reflux and he told us to check with our pediatrician because he doesn't seem to have reflux issues since the surgery. I called the pediatrician today and he said go ahead and stop the medications to see what he does. We can always start them back up if it doesn't work - so as of tomorrow we are done with medicines!! Yeah for Carter!!

We are still working with his feeds. I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to get rid of the NG tube and feed him with a bottle - but he still struggles with the bottle. I have asked the pediatrician if maybe I could get a referral to a speech therapist who could give me some ideas of how to work with him to get him to eat better so we will see what the doctor says.

All in all it was a great report and we are excited to be on the road to recovery. We are truly blessed to live in a time when so many medical advances have been made. Thank you as always for your love and kindness and for the many prayers being offered!

Love,
Kristi and Alan

3 comments:

The Cardin's said...

WOW! What great progress! Great job Carter...keep up that good healing! - Love, The Cardin's

Cami said...

I would think that you would want an OT for feeding issues, not a speech therapist. Did they say anything about that? When we thought that Alec had texture issues in association with his speech issues, they told me to see an OT. Just a thought. Sorry about the oxygen thing. It'll go faster than you think. Everything else sounds awesome. I cam across the gift I bought for you the other day...what a dork I am! Love and prayers to you, Cami

Pam said...

What great progress, sounds like he is doing super!!

Oh my goodness, the pictures below....soooo sweet!!!

I just want to hold him and munch on those cheeks. I think of you often!!!